Friday, November 14, 2008

Spiritual Funk

I awoke in a spiritual funk a few morning ago. No, not a hangover. No, not angry at anybody. No, not depressed. Just beset with spiritual "goop" as soon as I climbed out of bed.

A half hour later, when Jan and I were chatting in the kitchen in the early-morning light, he asked innocently, "Have you been doing your morning spiritual exercises?"

No. Well, duh!

So I thought I'd share what I do in the morning. This all takes about 30 minutes so I just have to budget the time. But it's time well spent.

First, I read the Bible. Proverbs and a prophet. Micah right now. Then one of the epistles. And, finally, one of the gospels. I write the date out in the margin and, occasionally, jot down what was going on in my life at that time. One of them said, "June 12, 2006, worried about real estate." Boy! That was a problem I thought could never be solved. But God did it.

So after I've kind of "plowed the ground" with reading the scriptures. Out loud! I find there's real power in the sound of the Word. Then I do something Lois and I discovered when we were at Belmont Church in Nashville. It's variously known as the "Maury Prayer" or "Freedom Prayer". We did this together for eight years. It takes about 10 minutes so if you're going to do this, give yourself some time.

I guarantee it will clear away the spiritual "goop".

FREEDOM PRAYER

Father God, I (we) come to you in the mighty name of Jesus and by His authority, I (we) bind the enemy's voice from speaking to me (us) as I (we) listen for Your voice. I (We) bind my (our) vain imagination and flesh from speaking during this time. Father, I (we) ask you to seal this place off with Your presence alone and I (we) thank You that You are eager to speak to me (us) now.

Lord, what are the open doors in my life (or my spouse's life if married, or in my friend's life if praying with a friend) this morning (or evening) that are giving a potential foothold for the enemy to use to create a stronghold?

Listen and receive what the Lord speaks. (Submit what you're sensing to your spouse or friend. Then pray (spouse or friend prays) a prayer of repentance using the 4 Rs through each open door:

Jesus, I repent for any place I have walked in ________ in my life. Forgive me for walking in that place and not believing Your truth. I call __________ sin! Now in Jesus' name and authority, I rebuke every spirit of _________ and order you to the feet of Jesus. I rebuke every spirit which was given a foothold in my life due to the stronghold ______. Lord, I receive your forgiveness. I receive the cleansing wash of Your blood. Lord, I ask You to renew my mind and replace every incorrect thought pattern with Your truth. I receive the filling of your Holy Spirit to walk in the opposite spirit.

Lord, what are the demonic strongholds coming against me (or my spouse if married or my friend) today?

Listen. Receive what the Lord speaks. (Submit what you're sensing to your spouse or friend.) Then pray (Spouse or friend prays) and exercise your authority in Jesus to cut off and bind demonic schemes coming against you today:

Lord Jesus, in Your name and authority and by the power of the Holy Spirit I cancel this assignment of _____________ today. I say "No!" to this scheme of the enemy. I rebuke you ________ and renounce any attempt you will make today to influence me away from obedience to Jesus. I declare my intent to walk in the ways of God. Father, fill me today with Your Spirit. I put on your armor. I receive your grace and strength for this day. Thank you, Lord!

Lord, how do you see me (or my spouse if married or my friend) today?

Pray a prayer of commitment to the Lord in agreement with what you received. (Share with your spouse or friend the picture or word you received of how you see them. Agree in prayer about that word. Bless each other.)


Walk with the King today
and be a blessing.

No comments: