Saturday, December 13, 2008

Worry. Or Not.

There's always something to worry about, isn't there? Potential pregnancy complications. Uncertainties at work. Uncertainties in the world's economy.

The reason this came up was because I was sharing with someone about my spring plans for Berlin and he asked what about the world economy or terrorism? Well, there's always that. But does it do one whit of good to worry about it? I'll find it in the Bible in a minute but I seem to recall some reference to that. I may be off on some distant planet in my thinking but I don't worry about much. Oh, I did! Back 3 years ago when it looked like our situation was hopeless, Lois and I both worried. We were about to lose the house. Wrong end of an adjustable rate mortgage. Monthly payment jumped from $1,200 to $4,500. We didn't have a decent income. I absolutely hated real estate and she liked it only slightly more. I remember early mornings out under the beautiful wisteria arbor crying out to God. "Lord, this is hopeless! I cannot bring myself to do real estate. I hate it. We don't have any other source of income. I've already run through all the other radio and television stations."

And I look back on that now and can imagine God saying, "Will you please shush! I've got this handled." Well, I didn't actually hear those words at the time. But I can imagine that sentiment coming from Him. And the fact is that He did have everything about us well in hand. Who knew that Lois would be dead in a year? I didn't. Who knew that I'd need someone around to help care for her in her last days and weeks? Not me. But as it came to pass, our friends Jan and Debbie heard a calling from the Lord to reach out to us.

So it's still painful. Still grieving Lois' passing. But I look back on what looked like a hopeless situation and see how God's mighty hand was at work.

He's heard the cry of my heart to spend time in Berlin. And now He's provided the wherewithal to do that. And what of worldwide economy collapse? Or terrorism?

Well, crap happens and God is in control.

As I approach the future, I say, "Bring it on! It's gonna happen anyway."

No comments: